Friday 1 March 2013

Business Tips for the Aspiring Therapist- Selling

Selling Versus Relationship Building



Today I am going to broach the subject of Selling. I think quite probably your least favourite activity and why therefore you absolutely must read this email and take some action on it!

In the past I was never comfortable with the idea of selling and making sales calls. Although I did them, I really had to force myself to. I didn’t want to appear pushy, I couldn’t face the rejection of a “no”, I didn’t want to make people feel awkward, I felt awkward, it was too invasive……. Sound familiar?

Then I realised that this was all in my head and imagined! I started to ask when I made a call “is it ok for me to call?” and the resounding answer 95% of the time was “yes”

I started to imagine that whoever I was phoning was a long lost friend. It just made picking up the phone so much easier and when I started to think that these calls were more about building a relationship and seeing if we fitted what the potential client was looking for, I started really enjoying making them!

I then went on to record myself making the calls and this is what I learnt…
When they’re talking they’re buying!
For most of the call I was just asking the right questions and listening. Most of my tape recording was empty!

So think about the questions you can ask that will engage your potential client:

Why are you considering this therapy?
What health issues can I help you with?
What can I do for you?
How can I help?

You can also ask T.E.D...
Tell me a little about where you’d like help
Explain to me what you’d like to happen
Describe what it is you’re looking for

I am not suggesting that you ‘cold call’ people who have never contacted you.

What I am saying is an absolute must is that you do call and connect with:
·         People who have made enquiries about your services
·         People who are clients who you haven’t seen for a while
·         People  who came just once and you never saw again
·         People to whom you’d like to offer a course of treatments at a discounted price

So who are the next 10 customers you are going to call?

Gill Tree
Managing Director

No comments:

Post a Comment